First Quarter Recap From Sam Winter
First Quarter Recap
Sam Winter, 2019 President
I hope your 2019 so far has been a productive and prosperous one. As the year’s first quarter comes to an end, I want to let you know all the Association has accomplished.
- We met with our CPA during our Finance Committee meeting where we received positive 2018 Financials for the Association and GCMLS organizations. The members of your leadership team and Finance Committee are being good stewards of your money.
- A Legislative Reception was held in connection with the Homebuilders Association of Metro Mobile.
- The Coastal Key Certification Series, a great offering of educational workshops, is continuing this year; we’ve had an average of 20-30 people in each class and we introduced the first new graduate at the recent luncheon. We’ve also provided several Continuing Education classes on Financing and Technology.
- We’ve continued to monitor and meet with City officials regarding the Map for Mobile. We’ve held five meetings on this topic – four with our attorney, Casey Pipes, and one with the Build Mobile staff. The Commercial Exchange group has been heavily involved and with their assistance along with our attorney, we were able to get a 30-day extension on the review time as well as a review time on the third draft. The hiring of Mr. Pipes is an example of your ARPAC investment at work.
- Another Realtor Fest was held at Loda Bier Garten in West Mobile and it was a success. Realtor Fest is a social event that is held at different locations around the City to give our members an opportunity to network with each other.
- The Charitable Foundation is selling T-shirts to bring awareness to the foundation and to raise some additional funds.
- Two New Member orientations have introduced a total of 55 New Realtors ® to our profession; they’ve now been inducted into MAAR membership.
- Your Executive Committee and leadership team attended the Alabama Association of Realtors Capital Conference in Montgomery. It was a productive meeting as we continue our good relationships with other Realtor ® leaders from around the State of Alabama.
- Alabama’s five largest Associations Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Baldwin County, and Mobile continue to collaborate as we work toward easing the challenges we all experience with using more than one multiple listing services. We are in the process of creating one set of MLS rules and regulations for all 5 Associations.
- Your Association Staff and Volunteers went to Lee County (Auburn) for a work day to help with the tornado cleanup.
- On April 4th your Annual Realtors Political Action Committee (RPAC) Auction will be held; more than 100 items are registered and available for your bids. This is one of the most exciting and well- attended events we have each year. If you have not attended in the past I’d like to encourage you to join us. It’s a great opportunity for you to meet and network with other members of the Association.
The Mobile Area Association of REALTORS® is healthy and busy working for each of you. I encourage you to get engaged this year!
Sam Winter, 2019 MAAR President