President’s Corner – 2nd Quarter Recap
Second Quarter Recap
I hope everyone is having a prosperous start to summer 2021 and I hope everyone had a great July 4th weekend. MAAR volunteers and staff have been working hard behind the scenes to keep this great real estate market on track.
NAR accomplished a monumental lobbying effort that went all the way to the Supreme Court in regards to the eviction moratorium. They ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lacked authority to implement a blanket, nationwide eviction moratorium. This is a massive victory for Private Property Rights and rental property owners.
This is an election year and an EXTREMELY important one at that. The REALTORS® have publicly endorsed Mayor Sandy Stimpson so we need everyone to spread the word. Also, we have 3 City Council Members retiring so the RPAC allocations committee has interviewed candidates and is financially supporting those that we see are a good fit and will look out for our best interest.
The RPAC (RRRRRPAC) auction will be a pirate theme on October 7th! This will be in person and we are sooo excited to see everyone there!
I spoke in front of the City Council regarding the Unified Development Code (UDC) and our support for the current version and requested it to be passed as written.
Here are the Second Quarter Accomplishments:
- The Governmental Affairs Forum Our first in-person Governmental Affairs meeting was on June 3rd and we had Beth Lyons speak. She had some great legislative updates for REALTORS®. We will take July off and then have Mayor Sandy Stimpson speak on August 5th. Thank you Ivy Thompson for doing a wonderful job. We encourage everyone to join this Forum.
- Gulf Coast MLS: We are working to roll out our new FMLS group of products to better serve our agents. This process will take a couple of months and should be starting sometime in July.
- The Community Relations Committee: Our Community Relations Committee prepared food for Camp Rapahope. We were not able to serve, but it was greatly appreciated. The Community Relations Committee is collecting for the school drive for Light of the Village, now. There is a box in the MAAR lobby or you can donate through the portal. Please consider donating to this great cause. The Community Relations Committee is collecting money for Camp Smile until 7/14 since we can’t prepare food this year. Please consider donating.
- The Education Committee: The Education Committee worked with Affiliate Council to start planning EDCON 2022. The dates are April 6-8, 2022, at the Golden Nugget in Biloxi. Mississippi Gulf Coast is planning to partner with us, again. Our keynote speaker will be Terry Watson.
- The RPAC Allocations Committee: The RPAC Allocations committee met for 5 hours to interview 8 potential city council members. There were a lot of thoughtful questions and discussions to assist in determining who MAAR will support in the upcoming elections.
- The Affiliate Council: REALTOR® Fest was a success! We had crawfish at the new “The Stables Bar” downtown and had over 100 people show up. Stay tuned to the next one. These are great networking events
- Your Executive Committee and Board of Directors continued to work diligently in providing our members with the best tools and services they need to be successful. The executive committee will be attending an education conference in Orlando in August, the Inman conference in Las Vegas in October, and the NAR Annual Conference in San Diego in November. MAAR and the GCMLS are financially strong with the proper teams in place to monitor the accounting. We have investment policies to be responsible fiduciaries and allow our bottom-line to grow.
The Mobile Area Association of REALTORS® is healthy and very active in providing you with the services you need to be successful in your real estate career. You should all be very proud to tell people you are a member of the Mobile Area Association of REALTORS®.
I would like to personally thank everyone who is volunteering this year for the Mobile Area Association of REALTORS®. It takes many volunteers to be able to accomplish everything we have so far.
Mobile Area Association of Realtors® President 2021